Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bipedal no more...

3 weeks ago today I had surgery on my foot and I officially became handicapped for 8 weeks. Bunions. Look it up on Wikipedia. 3 weeks ago today, I received a challenge. For those of you who know me well, you will know that it is not easy for me to rest. I am always doing something and always looking for opportunities to keep busy. It is definitely something that I am working on, and something that I knew this surgery would challenge me to do. Although day after day I am constantly failing, God continues to teach me. Day after day he gives me more patience to do the once simple tasks that are now tedious and aggravating. He gives me more strength ask for help. Finally, He opens my eyes to see the wonderful people around me who have been devout in serving, patient in waiting, and incredibly encouraging. I am truly blessed.

Today, as I arrived at work, I was struggling to get to the door with my heavy bag in hand. If you have ever used crutches before, you will know how difficult it is to carry something while hobbling your way to your destination. It was a few steps in that a wonderful lady came out, offering to help me. She carried my bag in, opened up doors, and helped me get settled. This small, seemingly insignificant act, made my day. Someone that I barely know, felt the call to help me, and it was truly a blessing. This is just one, of the many acts that have encouraged me so much. Now, I don't say these things hoping you will feel guilted in to helping me the next time you see me. That isn't it at all. But I do hope to give you a picture of how the littlest things, can't have a big effect.

Someone wise recently said to me "Your situation proves that we humans are meant to be bipedal." I look forward to the day when I can yet again say I am as such. Although I have 5 weeks left of being on crutches, I see God's hand at work and I trust Him to give me the ability to see this through. I am so thankful for everyone who has been there for me. People who have been with me to watch movies, paint my toes, drive me around, or just talk. You know who you are.



No comments: