Monday, June 21, 2010

Altogether Lovely

Over this last week, I have felt the weight of sin on my shoulders. I have been constantly aware of my error, and my inability to change some of the character flaws which have become a part of my earthly being. I desire to be rid of my sin, to live a life here on earth that is unstained, and pure in every aspect of my life, as should all those in relationship with Christ. I desire to be "holy, as (he) is holy (1 Peter 3:16), and have been frustrated as I continue to fail. I know this will always be during my time on earth and that my hope is found in the certainty I have in Heaven and more specifically in the God who has sent His son thus giving me that certainty. However, although my head knows this, my heart does not often live it. I still get frustrated. I still try to change myself, rather than looking to my creator to help me.

I recently read the following quote, and I thought I would share it as it pertains to my prior thoughts. "Our birthright is to fail and to fail often, but to fail in search of something bigger than we can imagine. To do anything else is to waste it all." (http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2008/06/is-it-worthy.html) I am seeking to take these frustrations, and allow myself to dwell on the perfection of Christ. God knows my failures. I know that I serve a God who loves me, who forgives me and who is refining, sanctifying and conforming me more, every day to His image. I am thankful for this. I am thankful that God loves me even though I sin, and wants me to run to Him with the burden, so that He can strengthen me to do the things I cannot do on my own. In this way, even when I fail, I bring Him glory, as I recognize more and more that it isn't about me and so much about Him.

To close, I heard a familiar song this morning, that really resonated with me and corresponds well with my above thoughts. This song is by Kari Jobe and it is called Beautiful. This prayer represents the attitude that I pray I have as I live my life day to day. That I could release the burdens and the failures of the day, to recognize the beauty that is held in Christ. For He is "altogether lovely..." (Song 5:16) and worthy to be praised.

Click here to listen to the song.

Here, before your altar,
I am letting go of all I've held
Of ever motive, every burden,
Every thing that's of myself.

And I just want to wait on you my God,
I just want to dwell in who you are.

Beautiful, beautiful,
Oh I am lost for more to say.
Beautiful, beautiful,
Oh Lord, You're beautiful to me.

Here, in your presence,
I am not afraid of brokenness,
To wash your feet,
With humble tears,
Oh I would be poured out
Till nothing is left.

And I just want to wait on you my God,
I just want to dwell in who you are.

Holy, Holy, Holy,
You are, You are.
Holy, Holy, Holy,
You are, You are.

No comments: